don't worry, we can make a plan

don't worry, we can make a plan

Saturday 1 May 2010

Things to do in the middle of nowhere...

Last weekend was a pretty lazy affair after the excitement and adventure of the big city. On Friday I came home from work, collapsed onto the sofa/bed and watched 21 with Sam until we got a call from Anita. We went and collected chairs and tables for the preschool teacher training that was happening the next day – the highlight of this exercise was when I got to sit on the top of the 4x4 with all the tables [cool, as ever ;)].










Later on I went over to see Lisa for general chats about life, the universe, the usual. Suddenly, Sam's face appeared at the door looking a tad desolate – turns out she had just got the phone bill for the last three months: £1500! So we had a bit of a crisis talk about how she'd manage to pay that and afford to stay here and there was some drama and to-ing and fro-ing on the phone. Eventually we did the old Zithulele favourite and 'made a plan' [the general response to any drama here is: Don't worry, we can make a plan!] and then took the logical step of going to watch Wipeout with Megan and Jess.







So Wipeout is pretty much a one hour special of ridiculous Americans making a fool of themselves by wiping out on giant obstacle courses, a genius recipe for laughter. After that we went home to watch New Moon but I managed to fall asleep in the middle of the rain scene … think that shows how tired I was!







On Saturday I woke up at 9am, made some toast then sat in bed until well after midday updating my blog [hence the 5000 word essays I posted last weekend]. After a leisurely lunch - and a miraculous turn of events in which I managed to hand wash ALL my clothes before my hands started to burn from the soap powder - we went over to Lisa's. I have been collecting various things in the pharmacy for her to use in the therapy department for the all the creative things they get up to, so she had an enormous stash of various sized containers and we managed to spend a good hour or so thinking up various uses for them. Ultimately it came down to using them as waterproof valuables containers or mugs so I decided I would test out the Paracetamol container as a coffee mug. It wasn't wholly unsuccessful in that it didn't melt and spill coffee everywhere but it was a bit hot to handle! For the full story of this exciting product trial and pictures go to Lisa's blog http://lisainthetranskei.blogspot.com and if anyone's interesting in taking the product further let me know! [Of course I'm kidding!] Anyway, the mug is now sitting in the cupboard of my semi-second home in case I'm ever there and is aptly labelled 'Kayleigh's Ultimate Pharmacy Mug'. I think it shows dedication to my art :P







Next up on the schedule of fun was a practical joke in which we took being immature to the next level and emptied the entire contents of Liz's fridge. Some interesting discoveries were made, the remnants of my birthday cake probably being the most stunning [and mouldy]! I managed to cram everything into Lisa's fridge [except the health hazards lurking at the back which were unceremoniously flung into the bin] then refilled Liz's fridge with empty Bactrim containers and that lovely birthday cake. Go look at Lisa's blog for a picture of that! Our work there done, we considered moving all of the contents of Liz's bedroom outside a la Juno but maybe thought that was a bit excessive....

Liz's fridge






We ended up staying for dinner, or supper as it is called here, and enjoyed Lisa's cooking, baking and even a civilised glass of red wine! We really are going up in the world :D Back at home, we had a second attempt at watching New Moon, enjoying the really stellar acting that was going on … I mean seriously, you can't help laugh at how melodramatic it is! [And Hannah, all that was going through my head the whole way through was BELL-LA-LA! Remember those good times?]







Sam and Lisa cooking
Me being equally productive
Sunday saw pretty much the same start to proceedings but then Sam and I thought we'd take a nice walk on down to Lubanzi beach. We haven't walked down together since the second week so it was nice to get out. The tide was over the whole beach so we just lay on the grassy bank and sunbathed for a while then started the long walk home. We decided to take a different route through the forest and along some goat paths through the villages and at times got flashbacks of the whole getting-lost-and-stuck-on-a-cliff thing but eventually managed to rejoin the road and ended up safely back in Zithulele. [Wow, long sentence, awful grammar!] It's interesting to walk through the villages and see all the rondavels and plantations and see people going about their everyday life – reminds you that rural Africa is still out there even though we live in our little Western bubble.







Liz was returning from her weekend in Bulungula so I went and sat with Lisa waiting for the reaction to our fridge rearrangement. Lisa was mending and customising my shorts since they have a massive hole in both the leg and the pocket and are so threadbare it's hardly worth wearing them. I've yet to see the finished article but it involved pink neon thread so I'm a bit nervous! :D When Liz finally came home, it took a while for her to open the fridge because she had some epic stories of unpleasant French tourists exposing themselves by the fire, but eventually she did. After the initial confusion had worn off and she had ascertained that no, an entire fridge's worth of food had not been compressed into 8 containers, she saw the funny side and even appreciated the subsequent cleanout of the fridge :D Oh what exciting things we get up to out here!







I stayed for a while chatting [and being a general nuisance by hiding the milk and the coffee to convince Liz that she'd gone mad], had a coffee out of a real mug, listened to some tunes and then went back home to Sammy.







Even though I did very little with my weekend in the way of epic adventures, it was still one of the good ones :D As the days slowly tick away until my return to Haddington [and the 'real' world] it gets more and more apparent how much I'm going to miss this place, the people here and all the random things that we get up to :(







But, I guess, in the words of someone far more inspired than I, there's 'No Day but Today...'

No comments:

Post a Comment