don't worry, we can make a plan

don't worry, we can make a plan

Monday 26 July 2010

Things to do before I leave (I)

In the car on the way back from Mthatha the other day, Lisa and I made up a big list of things to do before Sam and I leave [and subsequently Sam and I had the same conversation] and we're trying to do them all in the next 20 [!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!] days....








I – Sundowners on the water tower







In the hospital we have two giant water towers which somehow [not really sure exactly] collect water and distribute it to the various buildings and for ages we have been talking about climbing the ladder that leads to the top and watching the sun go down over Zithulele. So today, after a great day at work that miraculously ended at five, I texted Sam and we decided that today was to be the day we finally did it.







Sam brought some cider from the house and the two of us met at the bottom of the ladder, suddenly realising a) how high the tower actually was and b) how dodgy the ladder looked. Given our previous experiences in places far above the ground, my brain had already started with the 'this is stupid, don't do it, you're going to die'. Turns out I hadn't learnt anything from the death-on-a-cliff-incident and I started the long long climb to the top anyway.

A traumatised Sammy reaches the top






After about ten rungs I was shaking, after twenty I was contemplating the likelihood that gravity might switch itself off in the event I fell and after thirty I don't remember because I was focussing so hard on not dying. Finally the ladder ran out and I found myself on the top of the tower all in one piece:) GOOD TIMES. It's reassuring to know that the plan for me doesn't including falling off a giant metal tower...





Soon [well, actually not that soon] I was joined by a panic stricken Sam who had her shaky cliff voice on and told me that this was without doubt the stupidest thing we'd ever done. JT valiantly attempted the climb but gave up about half way, probably because her heart was actually on the Frisbee court instead [at least that's her excuse ;)]. Lisa tried once and climbed down again, only to repeat the exercise and join us on the top, alive but in desperate need of some cider. The three of us had just about got over our nervous breakdowns and had actually looked at the stunning landscape around us when we saw a tiny figure below us that turned out to be Liziwe, who sped up the ladder in about three seconds and casually wandered around on the top. Now that our Zithulele family was all present and correct, we sat around and watched a bit of an epic sunset fail [there were trees in the way], took pictures, ate chocolate and had sundowners, all the while looking over out this tiny village that we call home :)
Zithulele Village







Only nineteen days left. I think I'm going to need serious counselling.







x

2 comments:

  1. think we will too. join the q!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I know a song of Africa
    -of the Giraffe, and the African new moon lying on her back,
    of the ploughs in the fields, and the sweaty faces of the coffee-pickers,
    does Africa know a song of me?

    Would the air over the plain quiver with a colour that I had on,
    or the children invent a game in which my name was,
    or the full moon throw a shadow over the gravel of the drive that was like me,
    or would the eagles of Ngong look out for me?

    ReplyDelete